Fit Mom Blog with posts on Fashion, Fitness, Food, and Mom Stuff.
Recipe: Crock Pot Chicken Taco Bowls
February 25, 2016
I love a great chicken taco, but putting it all together in a bowl is even more fun. This recipe is a great alternative, especially if you ran out of taco shells!
The chicken in this recipe can also be a great addition to weekly meal prep and added to salads or just eaten by itself or with a side of rice. It's that good and that versatile!
2 large chicken breasts
2 tablespoons minced garlic
3 tablespoon chili powder
2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon paprika
½ teaspoon onion powder
2 tablespoons tomato paste + ¼ cup water
1 juice from ½ lime
Salt and Pepper to taste
1-2 cups Brown Rice
1 can Black Beans (15 oz)
Shredded Cheddar or Mexican Cheese
Blue Corn Tortilla Chips
1. Place the 2 large chicken breasts in Crock Pot and combine with garlic, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, paprika, onion powder, tomato paste, water, and lime juice. Note that you should ideally mix together the water and tomato paste before adding to the crock pot.
(if you see my photo I clearly didn't do that, although it didn't make a difference and turned out just fine!)
2. Cook for 3.5 to 4 hours on high.
3. Once done, shred chicken with a fork either by removing from Crock Pot or doing it right inside the Crock Pot. Let sit in crock pot while you prep your other items. Add more seasoning and spices if needed.
4. Cook your brown rice according to directions (we use a rice maker which makes life much easier!) and cook black beans on stovetop according to directions.
5. Star to make your bowls! Start with Brown rice, add in your black beans and top with the shredded chicken.
6. Top off with some more lime juice squeezes, shredded mexican cheese, Avocado slices and a few Blue Corn Tortilla chips for some crunch.
As with all Crock Pot recipes, this makes a ton of servings. It probably makes 4 even 6 servings depending on how much chicken you put in your bowl.