Fit Mom Blog with posts on Fashion, Fitness, Food, and Mom Stuff.
Recipe: Crock Pot Chicken Cacciatore
February 22, 2016
I remember my mom making this growing up. It was one of our go to meals in our household and it was always so good. We always had it over bow tie pastas so this meal is very nostalgic for me.
It's also super healthy and a great meal to take to work the next day for lunch!
It's the easiest meal by far to prep and throw in the crock pot. All these ingredients can easily be prepped the night before and stowed away in a Ziploc bag. Then come morning just pour into the crock pot, turn it on and go!
2 Chicken Breasts
1 Red Pepper
1 Green Pepper
1 package of sliced fresh mushrooms
1/2 Small White Onion
1 tsp. Dried Oregano
1 tsp. Dried Basil
1 tsp. Red Pepper Flakes (optional)
2 bay leaves
3 cloves Garlic
4 Fresh Tomatoes OR 1 can of Diced Tomatoes-28oz
1/2 teaspoon of Salt
1/2 teaspoon of Black Pepper
Dash of Garlic Powder
Dash of Onion Powder
Brown Rice or Bow Tie Pasta (to serve over, your choice)
Shredded Parmesan Cheese (from a block to top off the dish)
1. Prep your veggies-Cutting Peppers into chunks or slices (however you like them) as well as the onion-into small chunks. Slice your Mushrooms if you bought whole ones. I usually always get the ones pre-sliced to save time.
2. Throw Cut Peppers, Onions, and Mushrooms into crock Pot.
3. Add your diced tomatoes. You can use fresh or canned, its up to you. I normally try to use fresh in this recipe because its the "cleaner" way, but either way comes out great. So if you are using fresh, dice those up and toss them in.
4. Add your Chicken and then your spices and garlic.
5. Set on HIGH for 3.5-4 hours or on LOW for 7-8 hours.
6. Before serving, or about 1 hour before its finished, I go in and stir everything and shred the chicken up a bit. I also add a little bit more salt and pepper to taste.
7. Serve over Brown Rice or Bow Tie Pastas and top off with freshly grated parmesan cheese! #yum