Fit Mom Blog with posts on Fashion, Fitness, Food, and Mom Stuff.
Recipe: Spinach Mushroom Pasta
September 22, 2015
One of my go to weeknight meals, this pasta dish is chocked full of Vitamin K and lots of tasty goodness. I ended up making this one night after buying spinach and mushrooms for another recipe I found on Pinterest and then got lazy and didn't want to go through with the full on recipe of whatever I was making. But alas, I created a great pasta dish instead, so take that Pinterest!
Here are the directions for this super FAST and super EASY weeknight meal!
Whole Wheat Pasta
1 Bag Baby Spinach
1 Container of Sliced Mushrooms
1 clove garlic, chopped fine
1-2 Tbsps Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Rao's Tomato Sauce (Fra Diavolo)
Red Pepper Flakes (optional)
Salt and Pepper
1. Boil your water (remember to add a pinch of salt to make it boil faster!)
2. While your water is boiling start your prep. Chop your garlic and heat up a large shallow sauce pan (one that can take a lid) on medium to high heat with your 1 Tbsp of olive oil.
3. Throw on the garlic and once fragrant you then can add your mushrooms.
4. Toss the mushrooms around and adjust heat as needed. Sprinkle with Salt and Pepper. Add more olive oil as needed.
5. Next add your spinach. Just dump the whole bag (if it will fit) in the pan-usually the bagged stuff is prewashed. Top with Salt and Pepper and try to toss alittle in the pan if you can (although it will be a lot of spinach!) Cover and reduce heat
6. By now your pasta water will probably be boiling so add your desired amount of pasta (I usually make extra for lunch the next day)
7. Check back to your spinach and mushrooms-toss in the pan, Add more salt and pepper as needed. You will see the spinach start to wilt and cook.
8. Drain your Pasta and set aside on the stove top. You will know your spinach and mushrooms are ready when it looks like you added about 2 sprigs of spinach (seriously a whole bag goes down to nothing!) It will look like this :
9. You are going to want to add the spinach and mushrooms to the pot you cooked the pasta in and then add your tomato sauce. We use Raos' Fra Diavolo because it's the best and we LOVE spice. I usually just eyeball it but it might end up being about 1 cup of sauce.
I also then add about 10-20 shakes of red pepper flakes to the pan as I mix everything up. (YES I like to cry while I eat)
I love me some spice. But use your discretion on adding red pepper. Do so to your taste and spice level!
10. Now you are ready to plate and serve. Top with some shredded parm and you are good to go. This meal really takes about 15 minutes max. Its super easy and so good!
What recipes have you come up with by using ingredients you have on hand? Are they now some of your favorite dishes like this one is in my family?
Post in the comments below! I would love to hear some great innovative stories!
21 Day Fix Container breakdown for above: 1 green (spinach/mushrooms),
1 blue (shredded parm), Garlic (free!) 2 spoons (olive oil), 1 or 2 yellows-depending on what you want (whole wheat pasta)