Fit Mom Blog with posts on Fashion, Fitness, Food, and Mom Stuff.
Recipe: Shrimp Scampi & Zucchini Noodles
August 23, 2015
Zucchini Noodles or "Zoodles" are one of those things I kept seeing ALL OVER Pinterest. I loved the idea. Guilt Free pasta? Ding, Ding....I'm in! I had already tried Spaghetti Squash, and while I do still like Spaghetti squash, to me the texture was always just a tad on the crunchy side. Zoodles to the rescue!! We now almost weekly in our household make either this recipe or a version of Chicken stir fry with the "zoodles".
But today its all about the Shrimp Scampi-a healthy guilt free version! It's really SIMPLE and doesn't take long at ALL to cook. Really great weeknight meal for 2!
1-1 1/2 Tbsp of Olive oil
1/2lb Peeled and Deveined Shrimp
1 shallot chopped
2 cloves garlic chopped
1 tsp. red pepper flakes (optional)
Salt and Pepper
Splash of Wine
2 Large Zucchinis or Yellow Squash (or 1 of each!)
Shredded Parm to top it off!
1. Prep your Shrimp. Ok-I am a little OCD and also remove the "under" vein. I have no idea if it's a vein or poop. But even if the shrimp are already de-veined, I still remove this other "under thingy". I know its completely not necessary but it makes me feel better and less icky. I also remove the tails because although they look nice in restaurants for presentation, I find it way easier to eat without them on in the first place.
2. Once Shrimp are ready, set aside in a bowl and squeeze on half the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.
3. Chop your shallot and garlic and set aside.
"Vegetti"from Target. There are a lot of different versions out there. The one we got is really easy to use and clean. There are two sides, one side for thinner noodles and one side for thicker noodles. You just put the clean zucchini into the slot and twist. And wah la-noodles come out!4. Make your Zoodles! How you ask? We got the
3. Heat oil on medium to high heat. Once you get it going, add the shallot and garlic. Cook till fragrant and sizzling. At this point you can also add the red pepper flakes if you want a kick, but again its optional.
4. Add your shrimp! I will be honest I probably overcook my shrimp. I do about 2 minutes each side and then they continue to cook as I add other things, so yeah probably overcooked but I like it that way!
5. Once shrimp are cooked through, add your wine and simmer.
6. Once the wine cooks through a bit-1 minute or so, add your zoodles to the pan. At this point I also add some more salt and pepper and mix in some shredded parm and mix.
7. You want to cook the zoodles to your liking, I do about 2-3 minutes, maybe less. They don't need that long.
8. Top with a little more Parm and serve with a glass of Sav Blanc!
You're Welcome xoxo
21 Day Fix Container breakdown for above: 1 green (zucchini noodles/shallot),
1 red (shrimp), 1 blue (shredded parm), Garlic (free!) 2 spoons (olive oil)